The community of online educational practice
in user-built digital environments (MUVEs)
An organized collection of articles about the community of online educators using MUVEs and the educational practices they been developing.
Universal campus (Kitely)
Advantages of a digital campus
- No travel costs, no commuting time.
- No building costs, no building maintenance.
- All that money is left for education.
- No quarantine online. Groups can meet in web-worlds with no preparation. Talk, exchange ideas, exchange documents. Exchange almost anything but germs.
- Communities online in 3D. Meet the MUVErs
- You can program the place to suit your needs.
- You can modify the place to serve educational needs.
- Students can use it for their projects.
- You don't have to build it. You can buy things already built.
- Kitely Market
- Want a digital campus for your school? There's an app for that. Actually several. Here are some on RezMela Apps (Kitely grid)
- Online education, sure. But why a virtual campus? Why in a virtual world (MUVE)?
- Why I specifically recommend Kitely for hosting a virtual campus (MUVE)
- We can bring schools into OpenSim. Not just people. Whole campuses full of people.
- The coming digital campus. Access management. Public and controlled access. Campus security without campus police.
- The online campus: Your campus on the internet. Meet fellow students, work with them
- Digital Literacy: Matt Harris Vlog. Connections to the DTA and the virtual campus
- Why an OpenSimulator Virtual Campus? REDgrid, of Ball State University.
- A campus grid for a graduate school. An independent grid using the Kitely organization system
- What would I want in a MUVE if I were using it to teach a class?
- How could we staff a digital campus? The MGE method can get an existing faculty comfortable in a digital world
- An online school needs a digital campus. Not just for classrooms, but for many of the services currently offered on a physical campus
- Language learning: What could a virtual (online) campus offer?
Social media groups
- Virtual Worlds Education Roundtable
- Virtual worlds Best Practices in Education
- Nonprofit Commons
- Community Virtual Library
- You could give live lectures on a virtual campus. But why would you?
- The sense of instructor presence in the online classroom. Loneliness not a problem on a virtual campus
- What would a virtual campus do with classrooms? They could be a secure home base in a familiar environment.
- The virtual online campus: Can a grid handle the load of students?
- CVL Hypergird Resource Library Overview. Educational resources on the Hypergrid.
- UT Arlington Creates Virtual Alamo in Second Life
- The Online Campus needs a library, as did those old campuses with the expensive buildings
- Libraries in the virtual world could provide help for virtual classes and virtual campuses: the trident model
- A digital campus needs a digital library. What would be in a digital library?
- Museums on your lap. Going places in your laptop. An online presence extends the reach of a museum and gives new meaning to the idea of a field trip.
- Libraries and museums will combine in virtual worlds
- The International Spaceflight Museum in Kitely
- Micrographia in the virtual world. A museum on your desk.
- The Modern Museum- Art and the development of civilization
- Rapid prototyping an entire museum gallery — The Tech Virtual Museum Workshop
- American Museum of Natural History summer camp project, The Vesuvius Group
Support for educators
- Educator commons, freebies, and educators in virtual worlds.
- Educational resources for virtual worlds: Free. Universal Campus
- Kitely for educators: A virtual campus, educational places, educational products
- Gathering educational support in OpenSimulator. Scenegate, RezMela™, Kitely Organizations, DTA
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Jing
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and Hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.