Gathering educational support in OpenSimulator.
Scenegate, RezMela™, Kitely Organizations, DTA
Four initiatives directed at improving educational support for education and training in OpenSimulator
- Scenegate--easy student entry
- RezMela™--east scene construction
- Kitely Organizations--A school gets a virtual home of its own.
- Digital Teaching Assistant (DTA) --A place programmed to teach
- Update 12/5/2019: OpenSimulator Community Conference Dec 14, 15 2019; IMA releases simplified Scenegate viewer
- The SceneGate Viewer open beta: Rationale, documentation, support, roadmap
- SceneGate: updating the strawman model for education
- Instructions here: SceneGate Open Beta Test (Windows)
Advantages (Simple version)
- Screen buttons limited to those needed for class or for a meeting.
- Simplified instructions covering only classes and meetings.
- EZ search instructions designed for JIT learning.
- Defaults set for the needs of new people.
- Example: voice is on, mic off. New people can hear instructions in voice.
- Improvements in speed.
- Portable places, buildings in a box, layouts as you like them. Rezzers, Holodecks, Holoscenes, Rezmela™
- RezMela in Kitely: Simulations for disaster response training! Updated with contest results.
- Gardens, Landscapes in virtual worlds Real-time garden planning (13 minutes). RezMela™
- The RezMela™ approach
- A place for people (you) to design gardens. Or other places. No lifting. No digging. Concentrate on placing and seeing the result.
- Teachers don't need to learn how to build in virtual worlds to teach there
- Contents for the scene are already at hand.
- The user needs only to select and place them.
- A class area could be equipped for multiple scenes.
- Students could lay out scenes with little instruction.
- No need for anyone to learn to build.
- Kitely offers themed "grids". Independent websites using Kitely tech but managed by an organization
- Kitely announces virtual campuses for schools (and other organizations): Virtual worlders would say private grids.
- Bring the virtual campus into the school: Kitely custom viewer login page
- Kitely will offer private grids with dedicated login pages
- Why I specifically recommend Kitely for hosting a virtual campus (MUVE)
- We can bring schools into OpenSim. Not just people. Whole campuses full of people.
- An online school needs a digital campus. Not just for classrooms, but for many of the services currently offered on a physical campus
- Kitely organizations
- The school controls access to the virtual campus via batch registration.
- The school controls where students can go and what they can do there.
- The students cannot leave the campus unless the school permits it.
- The school controls all public-facing aspects of the campus.
- The school designs the login page: it promotes school interests.
- Kitely provides the technology.
- The campus has no association with games or porno.
Digital Teaching Assistant (DTA)
- Digital Teaching Assistant (DTA) for MUVES (virtual worlds): Summary
- Digital Teaching Assistant (DTA) can run the search game: solo, teacher's game, or team game
- Magnolia gardens of knowledge . A demonstration of introductory training on the parts (of anything).
- Just-In-Time (JIT) learning in virtual schools, maybe with DTA coaching. Language as an example
- Basic skills needed for attending a meeting or class in a virtual world. DTA content page
- We can reduce barriers to educational uptake of virtual worlds. Assessment of the situation
- DTA can guide ideation sessions. Group ideation: "Brainstorming"
- A virtual world is not just 3D. It can have people to talk with and things to interact with
- Newcomer welcome coach for OpenSimulator. Suggested design and text for JIT instructions to beginners. A DTA content page
- Project-based learning with work-groups: Not just the content: project skills, team skills, self-confidence
- Digicoach can support collaborative homework and study sessions
- Digicoach can support homework in virtual worlds with JIT learning, immediate feedback
- Anything in a digital world is programmable.
- Objects can teach and quiz about themselves.
- Student groups can be guided by scripts.
- The DTA can collect student work (individual or group) for teacher's review.
- The DTA can offer choices of instructional methods.
- The DTA can offer and manage instructional games (solo or group).
- The DTA can give quizzes and immediate feedback on performance
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Jing
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.