A front office on the web
A school on a laptop
The Empty Classroom
Education on the internet
- No pandemics
- Block the bullies; the school has complete access control
- No travel cost, no travel time, everyone travels the internet.
- Work at home, but not alone.
- No buildings, no maintenance; the money goes for education.
- Not wishful thinking--the tech is already there.
- And some educators are already there.
- And a few schools are already there.
- Education in virtual worlds
- Can you put a high school next to a porno place? Not even in a virtual world. But there are solutions
- Virtual worlds can serve many markets but need the right product for each market. Use case: Public-facing place: office,sales floors marketing exposition
Affordances of OpenSimulator
- Affordances of virtual worlds can make a more effective presentation. From OpenSim Community Conference (OSCC)
- Seven major educational affordances from virtual worlds and how they can work together
- Teachers don't need to learn how to build in virtual worlds to teach there
- Target markets for OpenSimulator: Students, instructors, organizations, presentations, collaborative meetings
- The Digital Teaching Assistant (DTA) for MUVES (virtual worlds): Summary
- SceneGate OpenSim viewer with beginner and extended modes. Summary
- A campus grid for a graduate school. An independent grid using the Kitely organization system
- We can bring schools into OpenSim. Not just people. Whole campuses full of people.
- The virtual online campus: Can a grid handle the load of students?
- DTA as Chatbot. Preliminary plans for providing focused information for visitors, with quiz games for added interest.
Kitely education on the web
- Kitely offers themed "grids". Independent websites using Kitely tech but managed by an organization
- Kitely announces virtual campuses for schools (and other organizations): Virtual worlders would say private grids.
- Bring the virtual campus into the school: Kitely custom viewer login page
- New educational term: Batch Registration: for schools and organizations in virtual worlds
- Kitely will offer private grids with dedicated login pages
- Language learning in virtual worlds. What the Digital Teaching Assistant could do
- Magnolia gardens of knowledge . A demonstration of introductory training on the parts (of anything).
- The CAMELOT-GUINEVERE project: Learning language in virtual worlds.
- Language learning: What could a virtual (online) campus offer?
What schools are there?
A front office on the web
- Road map to joining web-worlds to OpenSim
- Web-worlds and OpenSim coming together
- Visit my demo front office on the web, See my office times below.
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Jing
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.