How to use the affordances of virtual worlds
to make a more effective presentation.
From OpenSim Community Conference (OSCC)
Lessons learned while developing a new virtual world product. And a demonstration of how presentations can be improved by using the capabilities of virtual worlds.
- This was a presentation a the Opensim Community Conference 2019
- The presenter made the video in advance and played it instead of talking live.
- The presenter answered questions (in chat) during the presentation.
- Presenting in a video made effective use of the presenter's presence.
- The presenter could interact with the audience while the presentation continued.
- Live interactions instead of live talking.
- Mainstreaming Virtual World Learning Colloquium: Video summary and suggestions
- Can virtual worlds support large lecture classes? The past is not the future
- Making a video in a virtual world is easy and costs little.
- Showing a video as part of a presentation requires little preparation.
- Audience members can post questions in local chat as a video is playing.
- The presenter can post answers in local chat (shared text) while the video plays.
- Seven major educational affordances from virtual worlds and how they can work together
Advantages of a video presentation
- The presenter is free to interact with the audience as the presentation is delivered.
- The presentation can in include relevant scenes as well as slides.
- The presenter can move around in relevant scenes to draw attention to a part.
- The presenter can adjust the length by cutting the video instead of rushing at the end.
- The presenter can bring others into the presentation whenever they are available.
- Students Virtual Showcase---poster session or presentation for the new century
- MALET Academic Virtual Showcase, Fall 2019. Graduate Student capstone reports, MALET Empire State College (SUNY)
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Jing
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.