Web-worlds and OpenSim
Web-worlds and OpenSimulator are developing interconnections that make use of the strong points of each system. In the future. web-worlds will serve limited needs on their own and will help users get into installed virtual worlds when more powerful services are needed.
Murky Mansion on 3DWW
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- Together---each doing what it does best
- Web-worlds for easy access.
- OpenSim for better builds, scripts, and resources.
- Web-worlds as gateway to OpenSimulator
Two Web worlds in public beta
What connections do we have now?
- The biggest: Virtual worlders are bringing their experience to web-worlds.
- We can move objects and OARS from OpenSim to web-worlds.
- Importing OAR files from OpenSim to Web Worlds: Convoar
- Thus we can replicate simple OpenSim worlds in web-worlds.
- We can share events between worlds
- We can share chat between worlds
- Dual streaming to Open Sim and 3DWebWorldz
- With the aid of Discord we can share voice between worlds.
- A specialized viewer could use Freeswitch, which is already used in web-worlds.
- We expect that most building will be done in OpenSim, where it is easy.
- We can then move completed builds to web-worlds.
- Content creators may consider selling web-world files from their websites.
- Alternatively, Kitely Market could sell directly to web-worlds.
What do we not have?
- The main thing we don't have is a direct entry from web-worlds to OpenSim.
- We have web senders. We could send a visitor to Firestorm to load a viewer.
- We could send a visitor to a grid registration page.
- We could talk an interested visitor through all that.
- And we could meet visitors when they come in.
- We would want to meet them in a place that looks like the web-world they know.
What do we need?
- A viewer with maximum simplicity in installing.
- Firestorm may have reached that level already
- A simple beginner's viewer offering only the services beginners need.
- A cooperating grid that accepts the registration from the web-world site.
- So a web-world resident enters the grid with the same name and password.
- So we tell the person "Click the GoPro panel to go to OpenSim."
- We will probably want to install the viewer from a site under our control.
- That way we can make the installation as simple as possible.
- And the person can go directly from viewer installation to a cooperating grid.
- We can talk the person through the installation as needed.
- And we can meet the newcomer at the arrival point.
Roadmap for connecting web-worlds and Open-sim
- Import OARS
- Oars transferred from OpenSim to 3DWebWorldz
- Shared IM (TBD needs viewer changes)
- Shared voice (TBD requires viewer changes)
- Shared performances (Hase been done, no tech problems)
- Instructions for OS entry (TBD No tech problems)
- Put web-world on grid registration page. (TBD needs grid cooperation)
- Offer welcome times (TBD needs volunteers or pay)
- Simplify grid entry (TBD needs grid cooperation)