New educational term: Batch Registration:
for schools and organizations in virtual worlds
Batch registration is a feature that grids and web-worlds can offer to schools and other organizations that will bring in and manage groups of users.
The Empty Classroom
- Instructors don't want their students to register for their classes in virtual worlds.
- Some of the students will get it wrong and need instructor help.
- Instructors want to spend time teaching the course content.
- They don't want to spend time teaching students how to register online.
- Batch registration: the school does the registration from its own records.
- Kitely: Introducing Organizations (Virtual Grids)
- What is batch registration?
- What are the advantages of batch registration?
- What MUVEs (virtual worlds) do batch registration?
What is batch registration?
- The school has student registration records in its own database.
- For a class to use a MUVE (virtual world), the school exports the student records.
- The export is usually in CSV format.
- Only the attributes needed for MUVE registration are exported.
- The exported database would look something like this: Batch Create Users
- The passwords would probably be random creations.
Advantages of batch registration
- Avoids student registration problems
- Avoids registration errors.
- MUVE registration matches school records.
- MUVE can collect and deliver (CSV) performance records matched to students.
- Students can be sent directly to their classroom.
- Provides basis for LMS integration