OpenSimulator Community Conference 2019 (OSCC) Dec. 14-15.
Dec 14 events: Selected presentations with emphasis
on education and broad interest
OpenSimulator Community Conference (OSCC) is not all tech. It is not even mostly tech. It is mostly about uses of OpenSimpulator, especiallu in education. And you do have time to catch a presentation--they mostly take 20 minutes. Here are my suggestions for Sat. Dec. 14.
OpenSimulator Community Conference
The OpenSimulator Community Conference is an annual conference that focuses on the developer and user community creating the OpenSimulator software. The conference features presentations, workshops, keynote sessions, and social events across diverse sectors of the OpenSimulator user base.
- Update 12/12/2019: OpenSimulator Community Conference Dec 14, 15 2019; IMA releases simplified Scenegate viewer
Suggested events for educators and non-geeksALL TIMES LISTED IN PACIFIC STANDARD TIME (PST/SLT) (-8 GMT)
TO CONVERT TO YOUR LOCAL TIME, USE THE TIME ZONE CONVERTER.
WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT OPENSIM 0.9.1, MIKE HIGGINS / KAYAKER MAGIC
7:30 am - 7:50 am
The OSCC grid has only recently upgraded to an up-to-date version of OpenSim 0.9.1 just in time for this conference. This is good news, but what exactly is good about it? This talk will list a bunch of the bugs that have been fixed since OpenSim 0.8.2. This is intended to be a fun performance talk were, for each slide we will stop and demonstrate a scripted object that works better in the latest versions of OpenSim. So there will be cannon firing, painting in the air with prims, throwing tomatoes at the audience (SPLAT!) , etc.
- Tessin: Themed place: roleplay adventure: sailing, combat, farming. Utrechtse Statenjacht
- Kayaker Magic on the fence. Electric!
- Air painting. Doodleing in 3D. Skywriting without an airplane
- Construction tool. Dynamite Terrain Tool. Terraforming can be fun--and safe
- BOATING: The Boat Race Course at Panthalassa
- Kayaker's World - Panthalassa. T. rex, Velociraptor, etc. A lost world we found on a Metaverse Tour
- Sailing the Seas of OpenSim. And ignoring the physics engine
- Kayaker builds a horse, problems and solutions at the WIP meeting
- Sailing the virtual seas with Kayaker Magic and his advanced NAV
- A physics engine is not needed in OpenSim--Kayaker Magic
- Panthalassa on Kitely, by Kayaker Magic
- Sunday sailing around scenic islands on Discovery grid
- The Lost World of Kayaker Magic
- Anyone for dinosaurs? Hunt them, study them, make movies of them...
EUREKA WORLD AN ECOSYSTEM FOR LEARNING, ORI SHAPIRA / TURH ZANE
9:30 Am - 9:50 Am
Eureka World’s platform is an interconnecting system which educational resources such as teachers, students, mentors and developers are seamlessly work together. Eureka World unique platform integrates into classrooms’ ecosystem to make every person with the opportunity to maximize their potential and create real lives full of satisfaction, value and happiness.
GOING UNDERGROUND: WAPPING TUNNEL IN OPENSIM, GRAHAM MILLS
10:00 Am - 10:20 Am
The 2 kilometre Wapping Tunnel was the first railway tunnel to run under city streets and a major achievement when it opened in 1830. It connected the Liverpool docks to the first modern railway, the Liverpool & Manchester, and took raw materials, notably cotton, to the factories in and around Manchester. This talk examines the potential and problems in using OpenSim to model the construction and operation of this landmark tunnel.
- The age of steam begins: Liverpool-Manchester line
- Opening of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway
- New Projects by category offered by Graham Mills.
- Free Freebies by Graham Mills
COOL TECH & HOT TOPICS PANEL MAL BURNS
12:30 Pm - 1:20 Pm
GRASSROOT VW ENTREPRENEUR LESSONS LEARNED, RAMESHSHARMA RAMLOLL
1:30 Pm - 1:50 Pm
This talk will summarize my journey and lessons learned while developing a new virtual world product. I will highlight the many opportunities and challenges that will come your way. I believe the avatar based virtual world domain is different from traditional spaces where entrepreneurship is encouraged and we will get a chance to address those.
- Rezmela™ supports easy creation of instructional scenes. A demonstration in VWMOOC19
- Portable places, buildings in a box, layouts as you like them. Rezzers, Holodecks, Holoscenes, Rezmela™
- Gathering educational support in OpenSimulator. Scenegate, RezMela™, Kitely Organizations, DTA
- RezMela in Kitely: Simulations for disaster response training! Updated with contest results.
VIRTUAL REALITY VS VIRTUAL WORLDS SMACKDOWN! VALERIE HILL / VALIBRARIAN GREGG & MARIE VANS / AMVANS LAPIS & BETHANY WINSLOW
2:00 Pm - 2:50 Pm
This session features a lively debate on the merits of virtual worlds and virtual reality! Our first presenter, Marie Vans, argues that “VR is the future, and the future is now!” Our second presenter, Bethany Winslow, cautions that “Regardless of what VR platforms are used in the future, designers of effective immersive learning with VR must know the history of virtual worlds in education as well as have some hands-on experience in using them.” The sparing partners will be moderated by Dr. Valerie Hill, the director of the Community Virtual Library in Second Life, Avacon, and Kitely.
CREATIVITY PANEL MARIA KOROLOV
3:30 Pm - 4:20 Pm
A GRADUATE SCHOOL RESIDENCY IN VIRTUAL REALITY, SCOTT DOLPHIN
4:30 Pm - 4:50 Pm
The SUNY Empire State College Master’s in Learning with Emerging Technology program; better known as MALET has started holding one-day immersive residencies in virtual reality to introduce new students to the faculty, academic colleagues, and to present them with an overview of current programs and alumni projects past and present.
This presentation reports on the events, and conclusions derived from post event debriefings, and presents evidence for continuing exploration and development.
- Education builds skills. Skills are assets. Assets are marketable if you can show them. Your portfolio shows your skills.
- Second Annual Immersive Virtual Residency (SUNY--ESC). An online school need not be a lonely place. There are places for people on the internet
- Eileen O’Connor: Mainstreaming MUVE Learning Colloquium, MALET Program, Empire State College (SUNY)
- MALET Virtual Showcase: The Space Project: STEM work with legos and coding in elementary school. By: Stacie Stewart
- MALET Students Virtual Showcase---poster session or presentation for the new century
- Empire State College (ESC) Virtual Residency (applied practice)
- MALET showcase: Microscope Studies Using Portable Microscopes & Smartphones
- MALET showcase: Making and Tinkering – Stop Motion Animation Project: By: Marian Read
DESIGN CHALLENGES IN YOUTH-SAFE VR ENVIRONMENTS, EILEEN OCONNOR
5:00 Pm - 5:20 Pm
After many years of using VR environments in graduate classes, and teaching others how to create these environments within graduate courses, I will be designing pre-developed VR environments for youth, in K-12 schools and in other youth-oriented organizations. I plan to work with the affordances such as though now coming available through Kitely’s Virtual Private Networks to create a youth-safe interface and a practical registration system, and, very importantly quasi-designed environments that simplifies development while leaving flexibility and optimization by the school or organization itself.
I am working through design considerations for developing the VR interface but also for providing sufficient scaffolding so that other adult instructors will know how to use these spaces effectively with sound pedagogical principles so they can work within the significant advantage that VR can bring to geographically distant ways of instructing youth.
- Eileen O’Connor: Mainstreaming MUVE Learning Colloquium, MALET Program, Empire State College (SUNY)
- Mainstreaming Virtual World Learning Colloquium. And some suggestions.
- See presentation by Scott Dolphin
ART GALLERY: A PLUG-N-PLAY OER IMMERSIVE ACTIVITY, BETHANY WINSLOW
5:30 Pm - 5:50 Pm
Creating an in-world event of any size is a challenging endeavor. For busy educators creating even a single activity can be just another hurdle that prevents the wider adoption of virtual worlds for teaching and learning. We need stop reinventing the wheel and start creating content in way that we can share with each other. This presentation will showcase a proof of concept immersive learning activity for any virtual world event that will engage your participants and get them excited about the possibilities with using virtual worlds in teaching and learning. What better way to introduce educators, or future educators, to teaching and learning in a virtual environment than with a ready to go activity that you can implement with as little extra work on your part as possible? The presenter will share details on how this immersive event was designed, what tutorials and supportive content is provided, where to go see the in-world example, and how educators can use these resources to replicate this immersive experience at their own events.
MUSIC @ #OSCC19 FEATURED ARTISTS: LIBERTYBELLE LYRIC, JAMES OLMOS, AND DJ SHELENN AYRES
Join us for the OpenSimulator Community Conference 2019 music showcase. This event will take place Saturday after all presentations are over for the day. It is a chance to network and socialize with your fellow #OSCC19 avatar attendees.
Our music lineup:singer Libertybellow Lyric performssinger/songwriter/musician James Olmos performswe close our first night (Satruday) with a DJ set from Shelenn Ayres6:00 Pm - 9:00 Pm
Reports from previous years
- MUVE: selected OSCC exhibits
- OpenSim Community Conference (OSCC) Dec. 9-10, 2017
- Virtual Worlds Fair: Events Venue
- OpenSimulator Community Conference, exhibits (2)
- Mainstreaming Virtual World Learning Colloquium. And some suggestions
- OpenSimulator Community Conference, exhibits (1)
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Jing
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.