If your high school students have problems with online education,
the problem is much bigger than COVID 19.
What jobs will not require digital skills when they graduate?
Schools that do not teach digital literacy are not preparing their students for good future jobs. The future of work is digital. If the schools don't recognize that and the parents don't force them to adjust, the students will find out the hard way.
- Jobs will be very different in 10 years. Here's how to prepare
- Current and future demand for digital skills
- Digital skills Gap (search)
- Are the high schools teaching digital skills? (search)
- The average age of US teachers is 42 years.
- Those teachers got out of college back about 1998.
- Not your granddad's literacy. Digital literacy: a presentation in a digital world. So not your grandad's presentation either.
- Digital Literacy: Matt Harris Vlog. Connections to the DTA and the virtual campus
- Digital literacy. He did it in Classcraft. Like a detective story. Could you do it better in your favorite virtual world? Are your students the heroes who will solve this problem?
- An online school needs a digital campus. Not just for classrooms, but for many of the services currently offered on a physical campus
- The Digital Teaching Assistant (DTA) for MUVES (virtual worlds): Summary with JIT learning design
- The coming digital campus. Access management. Public and controlled access. Campus security without campus police.
- The coming digital campus. Not just an online class. All the campus resources in managed access Teaching the skills of the new century with the tools of the new century
- The coming of the virtual campus: Online schools need an online campus. "Stanford University Students Flock to a Virtual Campus"
- A digital campus needs a digital library. What would be in a digital library?
- Social user-built 3D on the web: an extension of your living room, your office, your classroom, or your campus. But this extension reaches into your laptop.
- Onboarding for teaching and learning in digital worlds. A microcredential (badge) model.
- Web report: Educator Edition: Virtual Libraries and digital smarts February edition
- Digital smarts. Who should teach it? Internet libraries? Internet museums? The old school system?
- The Web Report: Educator Edition: Digital Citizenship (beta)
- Draft plan for teaching elements of digital citizenship: How to become a digital guard. Game elements for digital self-defense. Sure you can improve it.
- The Digital Teaching Assistant fits with the practice of blended learning
- Digital Field trips for career exploration. On a browser? Only if you think computers will be in the future world of work.
- Coding and virtual worlds: a marriage made in computers. The DTA could officiate
- Plan for a modern presentation in a digital world. For presenters and inquiry/project-based learning.
- SmartSoftware in beta test. Toolbox for teachers. Digital classrooms--at last a place that looks familiar. Digital, yes, but teacher designed and teacher tested.
You don't need to staff the teaching
- Should students be learning digital skills?
- Should a teacher model digital skills?
- How would students practice digital skills?
- Hint: Reading about digital skills is practice in reading.
- Hint: Listening to a lecture about digital skills is practice in listening
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Screenshots from ShareX
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Techsmith Capture
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and Hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.