The coming digital campus. Not just an online class.
All the campus resources in managed access
Teaching the skills of the new century
with the tools of the new century
The coming digital campus. We are the digital generation. This is the digital century. Can you prepare for digital work without a digital campus?
Universal campus (Kitely)
- The coming digital campus. Access management. Public and controlled access. Campus security without campus police.
- Virtual worlds can serve many markets but need the right product for each market. Use case: Public-facing place: office,sales floors marketing exposition
Why not virtual campus?
- Virtual: first and older definition (Merriam-Webster):
- Being such in essence or effect though not formally recognized or admitted.
- If a school has a digital campus it can be formally recognized.
- The entry to the digital campus should be right there on the school's web site.
- And the school should be providing the services expected on a school campus:
- Library, career counselling, school news media, etc.
- Besides, virtual is strongly associated with games.
- And even with some unsavory publicity:
- Can you put a high school next to a porno place? Not even in a virtual world. But there are solutions
- Then, too, everyone knows that we are in the digital century.
- 21st century skills are digital skills to fill digital jobs.
- Any forward-looking school needs to prepare students for digital jobs.
- Every school needs a digital focus, even if it still has an old brick campus.
- A digital campus better expresses the digital focus than do old buildings.
- Finally, digital includes more than virtual.
- 3D worlds can serve many educator needs, but not all.
- And there is a large body of digital content available on the flat web.
- There is no reason to abandon existing content that still serves education.
- Colleges closing
- It is all about people.
- The Future Of Work Is About Humans
- Museums on your lap. Going places in your laptop. An online presence extends the reach of a museum and gives new meaning to the idea of a field trip.
- A museum in the library? Too expensive and not enough space.
- That was true in the last century, but not in this one.
- VIRTUAL TOURS OF MUSEUMS AND EXHIBITS
- Getting Smart
- 10 amazing virtual museum tours
- Educational Technology and Mobile Learning
- CommLab India
- Simple Homeschool
- Virtual Fieldtrips
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Jing
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and Hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.