Online PLC: Professional Learning Community.
Online is closer than next door.
And don't underestimate the flat web.
The online Professional Learning Community has a huge reach. Every teacher can find other teachers with similar problems. Any teacher can keep in touch with other teachers with similar interests. Any school of education can keep in touch with alumni and prospective students.
Professional learning community online (PLC)
- The collection of people with interest in learning activities who are connected online.
- Connected means each person can communicate with some others in the community
- Professional means that some have a professional interest in learning activities.
- And others want to communicate with learning professionals.
- The community is organized into groups that support this communication.
- The groups have multiple channels for people to communicate.
- Social media, email. Discord, Skype, and blogs are some common channels.
- FOLC: Fully Online Learning Community
Who would be interested?
- Teachers supporting online learning
- Teachers preparing to support online learning
- Parents who are home schooling or pod schooling
- Adult learners
- College students and smart high school students
- People offering online learning.
- People in education management
The flat web of the online PLC
- The flat web carries a lot of information.
- If you think of teaching as transmitting information to students, the flat web will do.
- The flat web can even offer game-based learning.
- Thus the flat web is well suited to the old teacher-centered classroom model.
- It is probably even better suited to the textbook-based model.
- Still, it offers help for home schoolers, pod schoolers, and entrepreneurial educators.
General teacher help
- Teachers Pay Teachers
- Grants for Teachers
- Commonsense, education
- PBLWorks (Project-based learning)
- PBL for remote learning
- Teacher reboot camp
- Education technology and mobile learning
- Free technology for teachers
- Class tech tips
- Simple Homeschool
- EdTech Magazine
- Common Sense Educators
- Google For Education
- TED Ed
- Super Teacher Worksheets
- Top edtech websites for newbie teachers
Grade-level teacher help
Online jobs for teachers
The online learning community
- The virtual worlds (MUVEs) professional learning community. Not something we have to organize. It just is
- Do we have a professional learning community (PLC) in the virtual worlds (MUVEs)?
- Web accessed learning Communities in Virtual Worlds--Thanks to Beth Ghostraven
- Localized Learning Communities in Virtual Worlds--Thanks to Beth Ghostraven
- How to get Immersed in online virtual worlds. A visit to the Community Virtual Library (CVL). The online PLC of educators in virtual worlds.
- Scholarly articles for professional learning network
- 4 Fantastic and Free Professional Learning Networks for Teachers
- Continuing education for teachers
- Free continuing education for teachers
- The Braitmayer Foundation
- Online Teacher Communities (search)
Meetings and conferences
- An online meeting about online teaching in an online PLC. Plans for teaching in Second Life during the 20-21 academic year.
- OPENSIMULATOR COMMUNITY VIRTUAL CONFERENCE: December 5-6, 2020. Presentations Dec.5 on education in OpenSim
- Plans for teaching in a virtual world during this academic year. VWMOOC20
- Networking in Virtual Worlds - The CVL Education Network
The flipped webinar
- The flipped webinar of virtual worlds, a place for exchanging information. No cost, no reservation. Come as you are. Meet the online educator community.
- Flipped webinar for educators. A distributed conference. Short presentations, followed by focused discussions. With plans for outreach.
- The flipped webinar: a strawman plan for the online Professional Learning Community (PLC)
- The flipped webinar: Discovering online learning. The potential is huge, but you gotta know the territory.
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Screenshots from ShareX
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Techsmith Capture
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and Hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.