The pecan pie murder.
A 3D story in first draft
for the writer's workshop
Nara's Nook Virtual Writer's Colony continues its development of a writer's workshop with a 3D detective story. This article presents the beginning of the story.
Bromley is dead
- The developing short story is a murder mystery.
- This article may have information that would spoil the mystery.
- This article is for writers, not mystery fans.
- Talia Sunsong
- Nathan Adored
- Selby Evans
- The Art
- This is a first draft. It is bound to change.
- The first draft does not have to be good.
- It just has to be done.
Go to the mystery MUVE
- Go there via the Hypergrid: :
- world.narasnook.com:8900:Dark Manor
- Nara's Nook grid:
A 3D story
- Is told in a 3D scene (a MUVE or virtual world)
- The scene may be created by any 3D software.
- We are using OpenSimulator and web-worlds
- The story can be told entirely in narrative notes.
- Or it can include flashback audio and video.
- The story would rely on the 3D scene for describing the place.
- The place--what you see can tell part of the story.
- As here--you saw immediately that somebody was dead.
- Details of the place can give visual clues.
- So reading a 3D story requires careful examination of the scene.
- Limiting the story to a single room limits the needed effort.
The place is 3D, but pictures can tell a little in 2DThis story is in the same house as is: "The last werewolf in Blanken" A writer's workshop in 3D. But this story is confined to the kitchen so as not to interfere with the other story. Confined stories are our strategy for having multiple stories in a single location.
The security officer gets
- The plot starts shortly after the body was found.
- The body: Bromley Owner
- (We'll give him a better name later, but that will do for a draft.)
- The private security officer, Pat Roll, was nearby and arrived in a few minutes.
- The police have been called, but this place is remote, so they can't get here soon.
- Pat is a duly deputized officer of the law and is starting the investigation now.
- Here he has gathered all the people in the mansion.
Pat interviews the suspects
Click image to enlarge
- The figures are non-player characters (NPCs).
- We can make these as duplicates of avatars.
- And we can make them move with animations.
- The pictures around show some of the characters we used.
- We wore them, modified them to fit our story, and made the NPCs
Julia Young explains
why she is here
- Julia Young, famous chief and food magazine editor.
- She is here to interview Cuddles about her Pecan Pie recipe.
- Ten years ago the recipe won a Blue Ribbon from "Eating In"
- "Eating In" is the magazine Julia represents.
- Julia is doing a "where are they now" series.
- Julia arrived at the front door just before the body was found.
- Murder mysteries and Sherlock Holmes are her hobby.
- As Pat interviews the suspects, Julia joins in with insightful questions.
George Smith, the accountant,
explains his business here
- George was here to explain some of his accounting that Bromley did not understand.
- George had just let Julia in at the front door when he heard a scream from the kitchen.
- George overheard a violent argument between Bromley and his sister.
- George suspects that Cuddles in pregnant with Bromley's child.
Cuddles Cook tells what
happened in the kitchen
- Cuddles found the body and screamed.
- George arrived promptly. George examined the wound.
- Pat was outside, but nearby. He arrived a few minutes later.
- Pat noted that the body was still warm.
- Cuddles overheard a violent argument between Bromley and his sister
- Cuddles says that Bromley suspected George of stealing from the estate.
The famous pecan pie
by Cuddles Cook
Sissy Owner, sister of Bromley
and half owner of the estate
- Sissy is nearly deaf and was upstairs napping without her hearing aids.
- She did not hear the scream, but later put in her hearing aids, and came downstairs.
- She and her brother had been discussing the sale of the property.
- The land had recently become valuable because it was found to have oil.
- She says the discussion was amicable, but George says she threatened him.
- Sissy believes that George was stealing from the estate.
- Sissy thinks that Bromley was having an affair with Cuddles.
Challenge to writers
- Here you have the beginning and middle of a detective story plot.
- At this point, any of the characters could have done the murder.
- In time we will write the denouement in the scene.
- But you are a writer. You can write your own denouement.
- You may want to make a few changes in our plot.
- You can do that--this plot is in public domain.
- If you know how to build in a MUVE, you can even write it as a 3D story.
Other articles about the writer's workshop
- Exercises for a 3D writers workshop: place and characters
- Writers of Nara's Nook: Story seeds: The last werewolf of Blanken, Part 4
- An interactive, social 3D writer's workshop in a browser. And how to mix workshop with interactive fiction.
- Writer's 3D online workshop: Meet in your browser. Meet in a story scene. Working together apart
- Tutorial: How to put an interactive story in a 3D web page on 3DWebWorldz
- Tutorial: Building in 3DWebworldz: Leaving notes around. Writer's workshop
- 3DWebWorldz goes for social media with contact groups: Video tutorial
- Writers of Greyville: Story seeds: The last werewolf of Blanken, part 3
- Writers of Greyville: Story seeds: The last werewolf of Blanken, part 2
- Writers of Greyville: Story seeds: The last werewolf of Blanken, Part 1
- Writing Workshop: Places tell stories: Ideation
- Writing Workshop 2: For every place, there is a story: Ideation
Anyone can use this article and the MUVE
- Writing classes and writing coaches are welcome to use this article
- It is CC0, public domain, unrestricted use.
- The MUVE in Nara's Nook is also available for public use.
- Access instructions are at the beginning of this article.
- You will need to be a user of a grid connected to the hypergrid.
Join our effort
- Writing Workshop: Places tell stories
- Mondays: We gather at Greyville, on Nara's Nook, at 6 PM Pacific Time
- HG address:
- Put the HG address in the Find bar of the World Map. Click Find, TP
- Nara's Nook Virtual Writer's Colony
- Current activity: Writer's Workshop development
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web office Weekdays: 12:-12:30 Central time (US)
- (I may also be there on Saturdays and Sundays, but can't promise.)
- Cybalounge, entry place.
- If you see no one, click the pointed push-pin (bottom line) to find me.
- Look on the Public tab for places that have people in them
- I am Thinkerer Melville in Second Life, Selby Evans in Kitely
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- Web-worlds are small and run in a browser with nothing else to install.
- We can visit 3DWebWorldz, with professionally-built MUVEs.
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- The Metaverse Coming to a Web Page Near you