Tutorial: Put an interactive story
in a 3D web page on 3DWebWorldz
Our current plan for a writer's workshop lends itself to easy extension into interactive storytelling. Here I provide a tutorial for setting up either of these in 3DWebWorldz.
Starting view in the werewolf scene
- The little info boxes tell the beginning of a story (still under construction).
Two Web worlds in public beta-
- An interactive story is told in the form of short pieces, each with a bit of the story.
- In a virtual place, such as Myst, the scene tells a lot of the story.
- The placement and appearance of the story pieces may also tell part of the story.
- An interactive story needs a way to put pieces around the scene.
- This article shows how to put notes around a scene in 3DWebWorldz.
- 3DWebWorldz goes for social media with contact groups: Video tutorial
- There is a writer's group here, of course.
- Social communication in 3DWebWorldz: text chat, contact groups, friends, events
Initial use case
- Writers of Greyville: Story seeds: The last werewolf of Blanken, Part 1
- Writers of Greyville: Story seeds: The last werewolf of Blanken, part 2
- Writers of Greyville: Story seeds: The last werewolf of Blanken, part 3
- Writing Workshop 2: For every place, there is a story: Ideation
- Writing Workshop: Places tell stories: Ideation
Skills you need to put story notes around your scene
To place objects
- Click the crossed tools (bottom left)
- You can put an object in a place by creating it
- Or by copying an object you have already made (Copy)
To put an object where you want it
- Put your avatar where you want the object to be.
- Rebake your avatar.
- Make or copy the object. Rebake the place.
- The object will appear where your avatar was at the last rebake avatar.
- Caution: If you forget to rebake avatar, the object will be at the last rebake point.
To make an object show a popup
- Store the popup text first.
- This stored popup can be reused in different objects.
- To put a popup in an object edit the object and scroll down
- If you copy an object that has a popup, you can set it to a different popup.
From popups to audio
- 3DWW can also let you put audio files around.
- With that feature you could put dramatized audio bits as part of the story.
- Thus a step towards a multimedia story.
- More about that in another article.