2020 #VWEDU: Outreach: Show the use cases.
If we want more educators in virtual worlds,
we need to focus on outworlders.
Use cases illustrating the value of learning in a simulated environment with content fitted to the learning objectives.
Signature Safety is a full-service environmental, health and safety (EHS) consulting firm with offices located in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Our clients span the spectrum of industries, from warehousing and distribution facilities to construction managers; from manufacturing to maintenance contractors; from municipal governments to construction subcontractors.
Generic use cases
Job training in problem environments
- Problem environments: Hazardous, error-intolerant, inaccessible, etc.
- Many such environments already use expensive physical simulations.
- Virtual simulations cost little and can provide much preliminary training.
- These simulations can build familiarity with the environment and the hazards.
- In social virtual worlds, learners can practice teamwork in the environment.
- In user-built virtual worlds, learners can practice responding to status displays.
- In simulations, the wrong response causes no harm.
Specific use cases
- Training in digital worlds: Signature Safety: in the trenches
- Residential construction: Signature Safety: Training in digital worlds And comments about unbundling.
- Fall safety (1) : Signature Safety: Training and teaching in digital worlds
- Fall safety (2): Signature Safety: Training in digital worlds
- Demonstration oil rig: Conversation with an imaginary TA (Teaching Assistant)
- Heavy industry: Big equipment: Operator errors can be costly and dangerous. Simulation offers safe learning. And for teams, too.
- Case study in support of a course on process plant safety. Video made safely and at low cost in a user-built virtual world
- How to make videos in virtual worlds for illustrated instruction or for project-based learning
- Virtual Laboratory Training and Career Center: Networking
- Virtual Laboratory Training and Career Center: BioHazard
- Virtual Laboratory Training and Career Center: Training, SARS testing
- Virtual Laboratory Training and Career Center: Virus model
- Career exploration: Educational unbundling by the internet
- Digital Field trips for career exploration. On a browser? Only if you think computers will be in the future world of work.
- Career exploration and career training. In virtual worlds, they can use the same facility. No risk, no travel. All on a laptop.
- Winter safety game, serious games
- Marly Milena Music Library at the Community Virtual Library: Grand Opening Tour: Collaboration in the digital worlds
- Libraries in the virtual world could provide help for virtual classes and virtual campuses: the trident model
- A digital campus needs a digital library. What would be in a digital library?
- Metaverse Libraries: Communities as Resources Part 1
- Architecture: Virtual Library of Birmingham
- Educational communities of the virtual worlds, a database by the Community Virtual Library
- Educator Edition: Virtual Libraries and digital smarts February edition
- The Online Campus needs a library, as did those old campuses with the expensive buildings
- A community as a library resource? The secret source of the web
- Online library in 3DWebWorldz Part 1: BC and Medieval: Home school, pod school, self school, online school, writers, readers, book clubs
- Online library in 3DWebWorldz Part 2: Renaissance and Enlightenment
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Screenshots from ShareX
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Techsmith Capture
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and Hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.