Demonstration oil rig.
Conversation with an imaginary TA
I visit a digitally represented oil rig to report on its potential for offering low-cost introductory instruction on a semi-submersible oil rig.
The underwater structures
- I arrived at the oil rig, near some of the underwater structures.
- Fortunately, as an avatar I can easily function underwater.
- I don't need any diving gear.
- Since this is a demonstration rig, I began to look for its instructional potential.
- "Welcome to my oil-rig demonstration," a female voice says. "You are not on my roster of students, but if you tell me your objective I may be able to help you."
- I look around and see a lady floating near me. She wears a business suit.
- "I am here to develop a report on the value of virtual world models for instruction on this rig," I explain.
- "I am the teaching assistant for this semi-submersible oil rig model," she responds. "Let's begin."
- Web page: Semi-submersible demo oil rig
- Hypergrid address:
- grid.kitely.com:8002:Neosome Edutech Region
- A Semi-submersible demo oil rig with underwater structures.
- Used for familiarization and educational purposes.
- Artificial intelligence in education
- Scholarly articles for artificial intelligence in education
- Turing test
- "Do you recognize anything you see around you?" the lady asks.
- "I see a tall pipe with smaller pipes sticking out of it. I think that might be what they call a Christmas Tree."
- "Have you looked for that in Google search?" The lady suggests.
- "Yes. I found Christmas tree and confirmed my guess."
Remotely Operated Vehicle
- I begin to wonder whether if my host is really human.
- "Are you the teacher her?" I ask.
- "I am the Teaching Assistant. You can call me Teeay for short. What else do you see around you?"
- "I see a remotely-operated vehicle, a rove"
- ROV or ROUV
A one handed ROV
- "You have identified two nearby objects," Teeay says with a note of approval. "You might find more things if you extend your search."
- Was that really a note of approval, I wonder. That would suggest that Teeay is human. But maybe I generated that note in my own head.
- "But wait, Teeay," I protest. "Don't you want be to tell you more about the rove?"
- "You were evaluating the model rig for instruction. Instruction for what objective?"
- Wow! That was smart. I always want to know about instructional objectives.
- Instructional objectives are way more important than a rove. I was losing focus.
Here I stand under a great big
- Teeay reminded me that I need to focus on the whole thing, not just the rove.
- With a little walk, I find a really big something.
- I am guessing that the big "something" is a pontoon filled with seawater, as part of its "semi-submersible" trick.
- I need to think of reasonable teaching objectives for this demo rig.
- What teaching might it be used for?
A wide view of the rig
- A wide view of the rig supports my guess. That is a really big picture.
- Teeay is silent and I refrain from comment.
- I am beginning to get the idea that she wants me to learn by myself.
- But she guided my exploration skillfully by pointing to my objective.
- Could an Artificial Intelligence be smart enough to do that at the right time?
A Christmas tree connecting upwards
- That upward connector is probably a drill pipe or drill stem.
- And that leads further into the story. Conveniently, as an avatar I can fly.
- I am learning while I explore. And, incidentally, learning to explore.
- And, BTW, learning a bit about how to set up a place that welcomes exploring.
The drill stem rises into the rig
- I follow the pipe and see that it connects to the rig. The lady follows.
- This rig probably serves to familiarize people with a semi-submersible oil rig.
- The main learner target would probably be people exploring for a career.
- How to Become an Oil Rig Worker
- Petroleum Engineer Careers
- Basic Offshore Safety Instruction and Emergency Training (BOSIET) certification
- Oil rig jobs: Derrickman, Safety man, Driller, Assistant Driller, Sub Sea Engineer, Storekeeper, Crane Operator, Mechanic/Electrician, Rig Welder, Barge Engineer, Rig Medic
- The rig might be used by schools offering relevant courses (BOSIET).
- It might be free introduction on the web site or part of the beginning course.
- It might also be offered by a company with offshore wells as public relations.
The drill stem enters the rig
- The drill stem passes through a large red apparatus.
- I see a side pipe leading into the apparatus. I wonder what it does
- "Teeay, can you tell me what is happening in this big red apparatus?" I ask
- "Your objective was a report on the value of virtual world models for instruction," Teeay comments. "Does this object fit your objective."
- I realize I would want a model showing the inside of the apparatus for instruction.
- Reluctantly I recognize that Teeay gave me better guidance than did my curiosity.
- That business suit really means she means business.
Top deck derrick:
beginning of the drill stem
- Derrick and drill pipe segments at the top.
- I not only learn the names of parts, but where those parts are.
- Learning the names of certain parts could be an instructional objective.
- If so, I would want the names of those parts to be presented for starters.
- And I would want the TA to turn the names off later.
- I could do that in OpenSim by setting a flag and scripting the objects.
- For registered learners, the TA would note experience level.
- For beginners.names always presented.
- For intermediates, names presented sometimes.
- Top level: no names ever.
- And I realize I would have some AI help if I were assisting.
- I could easily write a script to handle that chore for me.
- There is probably some level of computer support needed here.
Crane and pipe segments
Pipe segments on lower deck
- Remember BOSIET
- I see what the rescue boat looks like
- I could learn its name here.
- Because this is 3D, I could also learn its location in relation to other things.
- This time I will stick to my objective.
- Teeay won't have to remind me.
- I learned to do it myself.
in this area.
- Another safety requirement: Ear-protection.
- Another 3D requirement: area.
- I realize that much of what we know how to do includes place.
- We don't just know how to do something, we know where to do it.
A first aid kit
- I already know what to expect in a first aid kit.
- What I can learn is where to find a kit.
- Remember BOSIET.
Hard hat area outside
- I don't need to learn how to wear a hard hat.
- But I do need to learn where I must wear one.
What is that thing down there
in the water?
- Remember BOSIET.
A survival raft
- Equipment inside
Equipment aboard the survival raft
- I could not practice using things, but I could learn the names
- And if the equipment were stowed, I could learn how to find it.
- The place would at least be familiar if I went for real world BOSIET training.
- Teeay breaks into my thinking: "Do you have enough for your report on the value of virtual world models for instruction on this rig?"
- "I think I do, but I have one last question: Are you a person or an Artificial Intelligence?
- "I get asked that a lot. If you can't tell the difference, why does it matter?"
- The lady vanishes. On reviewing my pictures I find that she never appears.
Instructional objectives, instruction, and assessment
Objective 1 (develop readiness)
- Learner knows the names of selected things.
- Method: provide the names of the objects initially, fade the support.
- Assessment 1: Present images, ask for the names.
- Assessment 2: Present the names, ask for the correct image.
- All instruction and assessment can be handled by software.
- Call that Artificial Intelligence for better news coverage.
Objective 2 (develop readiness)
- Learner can promptly go to the location of the named object.
- Method: Learner is directed to move the avatar to the object as fast as possible.
- (Only avatar walking is allowed during task)
- Task is imposed at random times with random selection from the set of objects.
- Assessment: Response time should drop till it is reliably below set level
Objective 3 (Engineering jobs)
- Learner can describe the function of major parts in drilling and extraction.
- Method: Project assigned: Prepare a presentation meeting above objective.
- The article may be in the form of a narrated video or an illustrated article.
- Include references (web links) supporting the report on each part.
- Assessment: Two or more experienced people will score.
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 Central time (US)
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.