"The Virtual Library of Birmingham, built by Daden Limited (Daden), has opened its doors to the public allowing access two years before the real life building is ready for occupancy."
"By creating a virtual model and letting users explore it we can start to get answers to the very practical questions of how a building will be used."
"...allows visitors to explore and learn more about the public spaces within the new library as well as leave their comments."
"Virtual worlds are all about community, collaboration and the social aspects of an activity ..."
Open to the public
-The Birmingham City Council contracted Daden to deliver an interactive virtual model of the new library in Second Life."
"Daden used the architect's images, plans and drawing to build..."
You can change the furniture
"support community engagement, and to inform the internal fit-out."
"They trained the Library of Birmingham team in the skills necessary to make changes and to also furnish the Virtual Library, as and when more detail was known regarding the internal spaces."
"We felt it was important to allow the team to own the building and to be able to make the changes to the floor space and experiment with the internal fit-out rather than be reliant on Daden."
"Daden have also provided the Library of Birmingham an array of tools to enable visitors to explore the library in different ways and to capture comments."
..."preference podiums" anywhere within the library to capture people's preferences..."
different furniture configurations can be changed at a touch of a virtual button.
Visitors can also use Daden's annotated spaces (3D post-it notes) to leave comments which subsequent visitors can like/dislike.
View from an escalator
-"With a virtual world model people can begin to understand what a building or space will be like and share their experiences with others."
"routes people take and where visitors decide to explore"-
View from a balcony
-"We're now opening the doors of the Virtual Library for the public to come in, explore and share their comments and ideas, two years before the real building opens in 2013.
Library of Birmingham - The Library of Birmingham will be a major new cultural destination, rewriting the book for 21st century public libraries. It opens in 2013. Designed by international architects Mecanoo, the Library of Birmingham will be located in the city's Centenary Square. The building will comprise a spacious entrance and foyer with mezzanine, lower ground level with indoor terraces, four further public levels and two outdoor garden terraces, a 'golden box' of secure archive storage occupying two levels, provision for staff offices and service plant on a further two levels and at the very top of the building a rotunda feature housing the Shakespeare Memorial Room. In all, the facilities are spread over 10 levels of varying size and usage.
Second Life Slurl ( Viewer 2: drag the slurl onto the screen.)
- Videos from virtual worlds Summary
- Hobbies: Doing video/machinima in virtual worlds
- Music Videos from virtual worlds Summary
- Art videos from the virtual world
- Comedy videos from the Virtual World
- What do we do in Virtual Worlds?
- Search on page with Google Chrome: Ctrl+f, search bar upper right
- Google search this blog, column on right
- or put site:virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com at the end of the search terms
- Annotated screen shots made with Jing
- Creative Commons License, attribution only.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- This blog is not affiliated with Second Life or anything else.
- Ads are from Google
- Drop by my place in Second life
- Location Link. Click to go or drag to the viewer screen:
- Feel free to send me an IM, notecard, or friend request.
- Thinkerer Melville/Selby Evans