Spanish Language Learning Island
Situated learning, immersive learning
The best place to learn a language is where you need to use it. There even the little kids can speak it.
You need to know
the Spanish names
- Situated learning.
- The vocabulary you need most urgently is for the place you are now.
- Situated learning
- Immersive learning
- Scholarly articles for language learning in a MUVE
- On the web: Spanish Language Learning Island
- Immersive language learning (Wikipedia)
- Scholarly articles for immersive language learning
- Immersive language learning (Google search)
- Immersive Technologies (Heritage Christian Online School)
- HG address:
- grid.kitely.com:8002:Spanish Language Learning Island
- Put the HG address in the Find bar of the World Map, click Find, TP
- Hop: In Kitely put the hop in the address (top) bar of Firestorm, press enter.
- hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Spanish Language Learning Island/191/108/23
Situations for situated learning
You arrive here
- You are immediately immersed in Spanish
- If you want to eat around here, you need to know a little Spanish.
You can order what you want
Click image to enlarge
- If you know Spanish.
No ropes here
Click image to enlarge
This slideshow tells a story
- But only if you can read Spanish.
Chester makes trouble
- Alex should have known better.
Language learning in virtual worlds
- Web-world use case: Conversational spoken English! Or any other language
- Putting language back into the language arts
- Escape to a New Way to Learn Spanish, invited post by James T. Abraham, Ph.D.
- EduNation: Virtual Worlds for language education
- Language learning in an immersive world. Maybe this is the way to do it.
- Language learning in the new century: Reports: a collection of efforts
- English as a second Language. Virtlantis and the holodeck
- The CAMELOT-GUINEVERE project: Learning language in virtual worlds.
- English as a second Language: ESOL, EFLTreasure hunt. The game of learning!!
- Learn English Network Academy: Kitely, Second Life. Free.
- Language. Synergy in Second Life. UWA
- Hypergrid International Expo (HIE) : Multi-language: Language classes note
- How language shapes the way we think
- Edutopia 1 and 2: Places for practicing English as a second language
- At Spanish Language Learning at Escape--El Dia de Los Muertos. Nov. 2 at 5 PM Pacific.
- Language learning in virtual reality. Learn It Town sim: ESL (VWMOOC)
Challenge based learning
- Project-based education could produce useful results for learner and society
- Why a reading assignment is like a treasure hunt. And why it is not.
- Educator's challenge: Provide planning template(s) for project-based learning
- Challenge: Hero's Journey. Game. Learning. Schools. Can you connect these?
- Challenge-based education and self-managed learning: on the same team!
- Massacre at Wounded Knee, example of project-based learning in virtual worlds
- Social games for social VR: A virtual match game
- Learn by challenge in virtual worlds: Games, projects, Maker Model
- We are wired to innovate. Do schools teach creativity?
- Virtual worlds can host challenge-based learning
- CoSpaces: Virtual worlds for grade school. Maker movement again
- The Maker Movement and the potential of virtual worlds
- Problems and the seven gates to solving them. Like a game. Coincidence? Or something else?
- Cyber Challenge: by John Low, Chief Creative Officer, Carney
- VWBPE immersive events, The Queen’s Heroes in the Five Kingdoms #vwbpe19chat
- Konk Combat Game Builder, with NPC interactions. The Metaverse Tour investigates
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 Central time (US)
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.