Virtual Worlds and Social Justice:
An Impact and Civic Engagement Agenda
Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Eduction
The current public health crisis has brought about a rapid ‘revolution’ that many commentators have been evangelising about for some time. In many cases however it has resulted in a form of ‘remote teaching’, not online pedagogy. Indeed, a key question for all of us in education once this crisis is ‘over’, what will be the legacy of this ‘exodus to online education?’
Introduction: Heike Philp / Gwen Gwasi
Michael Thomas is a Professor of Education with a focus on digital learning, social justice, social mobility and the student experience. I’m a Principal Fellow of the HEA and hold two PhDs, one from the Newcastle University and a second from Lancaster University. He has studied for an MBA in Educational Management at the University of Leicester, M.Ed at Manchester University, an MA at Newcastle University and change leadership at Cornell University. He has worked at eight universities in Germany, Japan and the UK, from ancient, to Russell Group to modern, and led large, multinational research groups and project teams.
- Camelot project
- Guenevere project
- Project-based learning
- Sustainable development goals
- Castronova talked of an ‘exodus’
Virtual Worlds Best Practices in EducationVWVPE 2020
- VWBPE: Poster sessions 1. Wed., 7/24 to Sat. 7/27
- Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education (VWBPE) Call for proposals
- Aug 1. 2013 What did you learn at VWBPE?
- EDU: VWBPE Sponsors and Posters (5+summary)
- Afganistan Museum. VWBPE poster sessions, sample
- SENIOR PROJECT. VWBPE poster sessions, sample
- Sponsors and Posters at VWBPE
- VWBPE Posters and Sponsors (2)
- Posters and sponsors at VWBPE (3)
- VWBPE -- Time Machine
- Career academy--VWBPE 2011 Machinima Stream
- VWBPE Education Water CycleVWBPE
- VWBPE 2011: Training in a virtual lab
Advantages of online education
- No buildings needed.
- No transportation needed
- A wide selection of instructional methods can be available to any student.
- Some instruction can be handled by software at very low cost.
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Screenshots from ShareX
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Techsmith Capture
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and Hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.