A web-based 3D view of the
Virginia Museum of Natural History
Visit 3DWebWorldz in your browser.
A Virginia high school teacher builds a digital museum for one of his classes. Other schools could use it, too. This article is explicitly licensed Public Domain (CC0).
- Watch on YouTube
- Go there: 3DWebWorldZ
- Go there any time. It does not need to close.
- Use a Chromebook or almost anything that runs a browser.
- Virginia Museum of Natural History
- Museums on your lap. Going places in your laptop. An online presence extends the reach of a museum and gives new meaning to the idea of a field trip.
Why not just a flat web page?
- That works for one person.
- But for social learning, you want people to get together.
- In a 3D place, you can have a field trip.
- Groups can work together on projects.
- They can talk over how to develop the project.
- In groups, they don't just learn the facts.
- They learn to think about the facts.
Could you have audio descriptions?
- It is a web page. Any web page can play an audio file.
- Audio descriptions are needed for accessibility.
- The development of audio docent files might be suited for project-based learning.
How does it compare to the usual field trip to the museum?
- No travel cost.
- No travel time.
- A class could go there repeatedly.
Could it support active learning and assessment?
- Active learning
- Formative assessment
- It can certainly ask questions and record responses.
- If the answers can be evaluated by computer, the place can give feedback to each student.
- In any case, the place can deliver the results to the teacher.
- The Digital Teaching Assistant (DTA) for MUVES (virtual worlds): Summary
- The museum might make its own lesson plans.
- The lesson plans would be age appropriate and specific to learning objectives.
- Teachers could use these web materials for a unit of instruction.
Can it use 3D objects instead of pictures?
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Jing
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and Hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.