Graphics Quality Versus Lag
Click image to enlarge
- To improve what you see on the screen
- To reduce lag
Me (top bar) -- Preferences option -- Graphics tab (above).
The two objectives above summarize the trade-off, as does the slider at the top of the window. If your installer recognizes your graphics card, it will set the slider at approximately the right level. You can leave it that way if you are satisfied with the trade-off. Or you can make finer adjustments with the graphics window.
If your installer does not recognize your graphics card (common with the newest cards), it will let you install and will recommend that you adjust graphics. It will probably set the slider to the lowest value, producing terrible renditions. All you need to do is open the graphics window and slide up the graphics. You can then test to see what trade-off works best with your machine.
Tweaking the Trade-offs
To start you tweaking expedition, click on the advanced button at the bottom of the window. If you like to think of Second Life as a game, you can consider this button your gateway to a new level.
Problems you might tweak away and how
- Slow rez after teleport
- Reduce draw distance
- Minimize number of non-impostor avatars
- Lag with particle effects
- Reduce Max Particles
- What do we do in Virtual Worlds?
- Search on page with Google Chrome: Ctrl+f, search bar upper right
- Google search this blog, column on right
- or put site:virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com at the end of the search terms
- Annotated screen shots made with Jing
- Creative Commons License, attribution only.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- This blog is not affiliated with Second Life or anything else.
- Ads are from Google
- Drop by my place in Second life
- Location Link. Click to go or drag to the viewer screen:
- Feel free to send me an IM, notecard, or friend request.
- Thinkerer Melville/Selby Evans