Schools, colleges, and universities
with classes in user-managed virtual (digital) places.
A collection of instructional units offered in virtual worlds. These may be part of a digital campus of the future. This list will be updated when new information is available.
Universal campus (Kitely)
Virtual places mentioned here
What does user-managed mean?
- Users can create or buy objects for their places.
- Owners control who enters the place and what they can do in the place.
- The place and the changes persist.
- Users can write or buy scripts to make their objects perform actions.
- A persistent place the user can modify can invoke a sense of ownership.
- Students can be given their own places to hold symbols of their learning.
- Digital teamwork. Real work in virtual environments. Project-based learning needs project reporting. Here are the videos.
- Exploring Virtual Worlds & VR in Online Learning Environments Taught by Elli Pinion, University of New Mexico
- Teamwork in a digital place. Online learning does not have to be lonely. They can't learn teamwork by themselves.
- CAG University (Turkey) has a virtual campus and teaches a course about virtual worlds there.
- An interview with Heike Philp about digital HMKW University in Kitely
- International, multicultural college MOOC in Kitely: Jews/Arabs/secular/religious students work together in classes
- MALET Academic Virtual Showcase, Fall 2019. Graduate Student capstone reports, MALET Empire State College (SUNY)
- A web-based 3D view of the Virginia Museum of Natural History Visit 3DWebWorldz in your browser.
- Take a Virtual STEM based field trip to Jezero Crater on Mars using a web based Virtual World on 3DWebWorldz on a Chromebook
- Museums can be considered specialized schools teaching their specialized subject matter.
- Digital (online) museums can be available anywhere, so can be used by any school.
- They can offer microlearning courses in their subject:
- These microcredentials could be accepted for credit as a unit in a course.
- Museums already offer instruction for several age groups: online instruction could serve a much wider population.
- Museums on your lap. Going places in your laptop. An online presence extends the reach of a museum and gives new meaning to the idea of a field trip.
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Jing
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and Hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.