Voice problems with Vivox on your grid?
Suggestions for plan B
Vivox has demonstrated that it can be out for two weeks or longer. For educational or most business uses that is a single point of failure. An alternative is needed. Some grids may offer fallback options. Web-worlds can provide a fast fallback with no advance preparation.
ACRL Virtual World interest group
Possible voice emergency alternatives to Vivox
Web-worlds are alternatives
Emergency voice alternatives
- Discord runs in a browser or an installed ap.
- Discord (Wikipedia)
- Someone sets up a server for a group and creates sections as needed.
- Others in the group are invited to join.
- Some sections are for text; others are for voice.
- Community members can send messages to individuals or to the group.
- Discord offers easy communication without logging into the grid.
- Discord can run in a browser and support voice there.
- Discord easily runs along with an OpenSim viewer.
- So users can use Discord for voice while in OpenSim.
- A group might want to maintain a server for regular use by its members.
- The text chat feature would encourage more and faster communication.
- Educators might not like its promotion as a connection for gamers.
- Ask discord questions
- Most web-savvy people have Skype and are familiar with it.
- It is not designed for group meetings and is not easy to use for that purpose.
- I work with one group that has a board meeting in Skype.
- It works, but only because some participants keep track of Skype changes.
- I would not recommend Skype for larger groups.
Quick trip to a web-world
- You visit a web-world with a click on a web link.
- No download. No install. No registration.
- You can enter as a guest by entering a name and choosing an avatar.
- People who don't enter a destination will all go to the same place.
- People can talk by clicking on a mic graphic near the bottom of the page.
- To move forward, you click on the screen and then use the up arrow key.
- In 3DWebWorldz everyone will come to the orientation center.
- That center has displays to tell you how to go places and do things.
- But you can stay and hold your meeting if no one else is there.
- In CybaLOUNGE people may want to get instructions from here:
- What guests can do in Cybalounge and how. Tutorial
Cybalounge login panel
- The login panel above shows how to find public rooms.
- Use any public room in Cybalounge.
- Or get your own free room by registering. No cost as yet.
- You can then equip the room with web links or other resources:
- Cybalounge is ready for virtual worlders to use: Tutorials and suggestions
Plan B for grids
- Commercial grids may want to set up a plan for backup voice.
- Voice alternatives may not offer lip movement and green waves.
- But they could offer connection to people not inworld.
- Grid owner's viewpoint: Marketing and product differentiation.
Discord in the viewer
- Could be offered as an independent option in a customized viewer.
- Mumble "is an open source, low-latency, high quality voice chat software primarily intended for use while gaming."