Importing OAR files from OpenSim
to Web Worlds: Convoar
Software to convert Opensim OAR files to use in web-worlds. Github link offered along with a link to a collection of converted glTF files.
OAR file converter to web-worlds
- Convoar (github) converts the prims into meshes.*
- Outputs the region as a glTF scene (for transmission of 3D scenes).
- glTF is the "JPEG of 3D"
- glTF (Khronos)
- glTF (WIkipedia)
- Thanks to Misterblue
- *Scripts cannot be converted: new code is needed.
- Collection of converted OAR files below.
- Convoar is a first step in developing code that makes OpenSimulator content usable in a web browser.
What this means
- The large body of existing OAR files is available for use in web-worlds.
- Zadaroo Public Domain OpenSim Resources.
- OARs - OutWorldz
- OpenSim OAR files (search)
- Be sure to check the license before you use an OAR file
- Building for web-worlds can use the powerful building support of OpenSim
- Experienced builders in OpenSim may build for web-worlds on commission.
OAR Files converted for import into web-worlds with Convoar
Optimizations produce several versions
A straight conversion of the region. All textures are original size and terrain is maximum resolution. This is the best version for loading into Blender or equivilant mesh scene editor.
Meshes are unchanged from the unoptimized version but all textures have been resized to be 256 pixels or less in any dimension and the terrain is half resolution. These two optimizations make significant improvements in the scene load time.
The meshes scene has been completely reorganized based on their material rather than their object. This makes the glTF scene completely uneditable but greatly reduces the draw count and makes even very complex regions displayable with WebGL.
What you can do
- Download the converted OAR in ZIP format.
- Download the converted OAR in TGZ format.
- View the glTF file in a simple ThreeJS viewer*
- *Be sure to close that view page--multiple views tax the graphics system.
- Importing may require expert help from the web-world operator (for now),
Comment from Roberto Adams===BEGINIt's great seeing more OpenSimulator OARs converted for use in Web-Worlds. To add to your reporting on the Convoar OAR file converter ("https://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2018/06/2018-ww-oars-transferred-from-opensim.html"), the source , binaries, and instructions for Convoar are available at "https://github.com/Misterblue/convoar" and examples of other converted OARs are at "https://misterblue.com/oars/".====END
Two Web worlds in public beta
Community for web-world development