How can we use an always-on world in Kitely?
Focussed welcome center aggregators.
Gather welcome centers of focussed interest.
Always-on worlds can serve as welcome centers for other activities.
Focussed WC development
Use it to host focussed welcome centers
- For a demo I have converted my place Creative Collaborators to always on.
- Two focussed centers are already in development there:
- Seanchai: no signage yet, but if you walk into the building, you TP to Seanchai.
- Agile Business Park(tm): Marked by the signage. No TP yet.
- Other WC's with an educational connection will be welcome. No cost.
- See you later aggregator. Aggregate the offerings and you aggregate the customers.
Possible themed welcome centers
What is the always-on Welcome Center?
- The AOWC hosts collection of themed welcome centers.
- Central arrival point, probably at 256, 256.
- Surrounded by signs offering TP's to themed welcome centers
- Themed welcome centers are on the same world, so already active.
- Each themed welcome center is a parcel set to the managing group for the theme.
- Each themed welcome center has signs with relevant information.
- With the content is controlled by the theme group.
- The location is promoted by all the hosted centers and by the aggregator.
- The AOWC may also provide instruction on basic skills needed by a visitor.
What is in the themed centers?
- Contact links with signage.
- "Join the main group." signage.
- Group joiner panels.
- Beginner instruction relevant to the theme.
- Teleports to relevant places.
- How to expand your Kitely virtual world. Megaworlds and teleport. Walk in TP works for avatars. Object TP for vehicles
- Calendar of events
- Other displays to market the place to newcomers.
- You walk into a doorway and teleport to the main location.
- The OSSL function to do that has to be placed by someone with high land authority.
- So you give the TP object to the land owner, who can place a working version.
- If the teleport will be delayed while the destination is loading, provide the visitor with something to read during that time
How people get to a Welcome Center
- Blog articles (here, for sure)
- TP sign from Kitely Welcome Center
- Always-on worlds should get special display TPs at KWC
- TPs indicate subject of interest.
- "Always-on welcome worlds"
- Notifier when someone arrives.
- Welcomers can be doing their own thing in the welcome world.
- And respond to visitors when they arrive.
- Themed welcome centers could have IM notifiers for several people.
- Those people could be notified wherever they are in Kitely.
The online PLC
- Open to any activity related to education.
- Open to hypergrid activities.
- Install a build promoting your project.
- Include landmarks and your calendar of events.
- Join in the promotion of the aggregation spot.
- Use the PLC places database.
- Use a PLC expertise database when available
- Attract educators to the aggregate.
- Always on--no waiting.
- Help educators find contacts, events.
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Due to medical issues, I cannot promise to be there. But I will try.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Screenshots from ShareX
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Techsmith Capture
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and Hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.