Cybalounge web classroom (model).
Any instructor could have
a classroom to modify as needed
CybaLOUNGE, a 3D place running in a browser. announces a model classroom available to instructors who are using CybaLOUNGE for instruction. Here I point out the resources available in the model classroom.
- A conventional classroom here (classic style).
- A familiar appearance for a novel environment.
- I would rearrange it to be student-centered rather than teacher-centered.
- But that would only be a matter of moving the desks and chairs.
- I would have all the things I would expect to use in teaching a class.
- But I would not be stuck in a specific place.
- I would not use a fifty-minute class. I would give lectures in smaller units.
- I could teach students wherever they were.
- I might teach a specific subject to an entire school district
- Or to all the junior colleges in the city.
- Or to disabled students who could not travel to school.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
Resources in the classroom
- The interactive whiteboard(s) in CybaLounge
- Nonprofit web-world message board. What can we do with it?
Text Link (to the text book)
- The text book is on the web, of course.
- Maybe written or assembled by the instructor.
- That would be very likely in the case of a college class.
- The book on the desk is a web link for the student to save.
- The student can then access the text directly.
- The screen can play videos on YouTube.
- The instructor brings in the video by drag-and-drop on the screen.
- The instructor would also give links in the text to all relevant videos.
- Presenting videos in class would only be done in preparing for class discussion.
- As a result of questions or class discussions, the instructor could add links here.
- Web senders to open web pages
The chalkboard can be shared
- If set to public, the chalkboard is open to any student.
- Thus student work can be seen by the entire class.
- The special window is opened by a click on the board.
Student and group project materials
- Some of this material might be open to the rest of the class.
- Especially if it could serve as an example of very good work.
How would I use the classroom?
- Not to give lectures.
- If I were going to give a lecture, I would do it in a place full of relevant things.
- For abnormal psychology I would use art (The scream) and paintings by patients.
- I would also show MRI scans illustrating known abnormal conditions.
- In the old days I would have had to use slide shows.
- But a slide is on and gone.
- I would build a place to display the images 24/7.
- So my students could study whenever they wanted to.
- And I would not do a lecture but once.
- I would capture that on video and make it available in the classroom 24/7.
- The classroom would serve the students as a base camp.
- They could go there to find relevant materials for review.
- And to have project meetings or to see what other groups were reporting.
- And to meet with me--I would have office hours there.
- Because the classroom is on the web, I could have flexible hours.
- The students might give project reports there.
- No need have the whole class there for the report. I would get video and post it.
- The video would be available for students to include in their personal portfolios.
Possible future integrations
An open source software to create & manage online quizzes, tests & exams on your website or server.
Community driven, globally supported. Welcome to the Moodle community and discover the value of an open, collaborative effort by one of the largest open-source teams in the world.