Kitely Megaworld. Over 2 KM on a side.
With a server to itself.
The area of 64 traditional sims.
With no sim borders to cross.
It's a big world! A big digital makerspace. On anybody's computer. No travel, no pandemic, no use cost. Especially good for sailing, model railroads, and long distance auto races. Free for experimental use by builders in Kitely.
- "8x8": meaning that each side is the length of 8 traditional sims
- 256 meters times 8 = 2048 meters, 1.3 miles
- The smaller square in the lower left is my earlier 4X4.
- "Small" is relative--it is the area of 16 traditional sims.
- The 8x8 is the area of 64 traditional sims.
- Visit the place: Creative collaborators
- Kitely: Limited Time Offer for Mega Worlds
- This offer expires at the end of November--act now.
- MAKERSPACE FOR EDUCATION
- Library makerspace (Wikipedia)
A lot of terraforming
- I could create a RAW file and upload it to set the terrain.
- I would have to put together several from the RAW set.
- But I need to make the terrain suit my objectives.
- So I got Kayaker's Bulldozer Terrain Tool [Export]
- This only works in OpenSimulator, because it uses OSSL functions.
- It only works for the owner of the tool.
- And that person must be the land owner or Estate Manager.
- But it works very well on my own land in Kitely
A lot of planning
- The version here is preliminary
- Explore the potential for very large regions.
- Identify the most promising uses and synergies
- Provide the basis for a series of articles about using very large regions.
Brainstorming for uses
- Educational campus
- Business campus
- Research campus
- Area planning.
- More (TBD)
Design planning considerations
- Contiguous waterways for sailing
- Contiguous land for rail and road (only gaps that can be bridged.)
- Avoid cluttered sightlines (reduce viewer lag)
- Keep the number of textures down. (load lag)
- Make objects phantom where possible. (physics lag)
- Avoid sculpties
- Put land at 128, 128
- Check for heavy loading scripts.
- Invite creative people to explore their big ideas.
- The added area is offered as a giant sandbox for users who need that.
- Anyone with a use case is welcome to contact me.
- Obvious use cases would be sailing, road, and railroad.
- This world is for creative people of any kind.
- Creativity includes education, content creation, video production, writing, storytelling, and other things.
- This world is specifically for creative people who are interested in collaborating with others.
- There will be multiple parcels with somewhat different purposes and, in some cases, different controlling groups.
- For build access or more information, contact Selby Evans in Kitely.
- Tessin already has already terraformed their 8x8
- Tessin has long been committed to sailing.
- And sailing naturally pairs with a big region:
- Needs a large contiguous water area without much around.
Previous articles about Tessin
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Screenshots from ShareX
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Techsmith Capture
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and Hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.