Catching events in your online PLN.
Meetings about online learning.
Like webinars except they are free with no registration.
More like collaboration than a lecture.
Finding events in your Online Professional Learning Network (OPLN). Like webinars except less formal. And free. And with more collaboration.
- Educators, home schoolers, pod schoolers, self-schoolers
- A OPLN is about sharing information online with a professional learning network.
- User-built virtual worlds. These are not games. You do what you please.
- Some educators have been teaching in these places for years,
- And they have gathered in communities and organized groups:
- Networking in Virtual Worlds - The CVL Education Network
- And they hold events fostering online education: CVL Events.
- Watch on YouTube
OPLN: Catching online events
- A good system starts with your Google Calendar.
- Versions are available for computers, smart phones, and tablets.
- You can schedule your own events on your Google calendar.
- But if you use another brand, you still need the Google calendar setup.
- Your OPLN consists of web links and email addresses.
- The web links are mainly to organizations and social media sites
- Some of the web sites will have Google calendars, especially those from virtual world organizations.
- You can use those sites directly by visiting them.
- If you expect the use them much, you may want to collect them into your own event calendar.
Your own event calendar
- To copy a Google calendar to your personal collection:
- Click the + sign in the Google Calendar button (bottom right)
- Look for the new calendar under Other Calendars to the left of your main calendar
- If you have multiple sparse calendars you may want to combine them:
- Google calendars: blog, display, wear, combine. Summary
- (The above article describes other uses that may also be of interest to virtual worlders.)
Suggested calendars from CVL
Virtual World Group Calendars
- Community Virtual Library
- Nonprofit Commons
- VWMOOC & ISTEVEN
- Whole Brain Health
- Fantasy Faire
- VWER (Virtual World Education Roundtable)
Relevant education links
- Microschools Meet The Moment
- Cambium Learning Group adds Rosetta Stone to its portfolio of digital-centric learning brands
- Getting Smart
- 10 amazing virtual museum tours
- Educational Technology and Mobile Learning
- CommLab India
- Simple Homeschool
- Virtual Fieldtrips
- EdTech and Leadership: The Fuel that Feeds the Flame
- iEARN-USA and WorldTeach Partner Expand Global Opportunities for Educators
- Digital Promise
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Screenshots from ShareX
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Techsmith Capture
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and Hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.