Using Notecards: how and why
A notecard is somewhat like e-mail. You
- Write it,
- Review it,
- Send it to one or many people,
- Keep a copy in your inventory for reference.
The recipient can
- Keep the copy on file,
- Refer to it later for details,
- Copy part of it into a response,
- Forward it to other people.
- Copy/paste it into a blog, webpage, or forum.
Make a notecard:
- Open Inventory: V3.2 Inventory button (suitcase),
- Click + sign (bottom of inventory window),
- Click "New Notecard" in option list,
- Find entry "New Note in Notecards folder of inventory
- Right click, select "Rename", give it a name you will remember
- Enter text in the blank notecard if it has opened
- Double click on the name in your inventory if needed to open the norecard
- Type or copy-paste from any text document.
- Click "Save" (bottom of card window)
Problem Solving and cautions
- Save often. Expect that Save will fail every so often.
- If save fails, highlight the entire text and copy it to a text file on your computer.
- Delete the notecard that failed to save.
- Wait a few hours, make a new notecard with the text you saved.
- Notecards don't always get to the recipient.
- If sent with a group notice, probably don't reach more than 500 people.
- Are not always usable when received.
- To be sure that it was received, check by IM.
- MySL (see below) may be more reliable.
Send a notecard to someone
- Drag from inventory and drop onto the avatar if present.
- Otherwise, open the profile and click IM button:
- V3.2. Profiles. Yours and theirs
- Drag the notecard into the IM text window.
Get and open notecards
- You get a notice about notecard sent (upper right).
- You click notice, see window, click Show.
- The notecard may open for you to read.
- If not, type first part of notecard name in inventory search bar.
- Double-click on notecard name in inventory.
- To be sure of finding it again, rename it with keywords.
- To reply, copy the notecard (right-click, copy)
- Paste the copy back into the notecard folder (right-click, paste)
- Rename the copy to include the name of the originator and your name
- Edit the copy and send the edited copy back to the originator
- Drag objects, notecards, or other assets, from your inventory.
- Drag one from your inventory onto the notecard, drop it there.
- It will leave a graphic and the name of the asset.
- To recover an asset from a notecard, click on the name.
- The offer you get will depend on the type of asset.
Distribute a notecard widely
- Send a notecard to a group you are in:
- V3.2 People button (2 heads) -- groups -- notices
- Send a notecard to a group of your friends
- Have an object give a notecard: Giver script in Hobo Kit
- Use a notice list to give notecards
Other features that you might use instead of notecards
- Private communications in SL, Forums, MySL, IMs
- Promote your projects on your MySL feed
- MySL, Private messages, offline
- What do we do in Virtual Worlds?
- Search on page with Google Chrome: Ctrl+f, search bar upper right
- Google search this blog, column on right
- or put site:virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com at the end of the search terms
- Annotated screen shots made with Jing
- Creative Commons License, attribution only.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- This blog is not affiliated with Second Life or anything else.
- Ads are from Google
- Drop by my place in Second life
- Location Link. Click to go or drag to the viewer screen:
- Feel free to send me an IM, notecard, or friend request.
- Thinkerer Melville/Selby Evans