SceneGate for OpenSimulator:
the market button,
grid money notice and button
and find friends online
SceneGate will adjust its services to fit OpenSimulator, cleaning up some viewer features left over from services on a previous grid. Since SceneGate must adjust for multiple grids, the adjustment is complicated.
A viewer can do better than that
- From comments in the Kitely Sunday meeting and conversations on the forum, I learned of four items of user interest:
- A Market button on the viewer should take the user to a market they could use.
- The Buy grid money button should take the user to where they can buy grid money.
- The grid money amount notice should give the correct amount for the avatar.
- Some users wanted a notice of friends online before they login.
- The first three of those are viewer issues, so i asked the SceneGate devs about them.
- The fourth item is a grid issue, but suggested a feature that SceneGate is aiming for.
- Update 4/30/2020 Multi-college diversity in Kitely. OpenSim grids show growth during pandemic Kitely upgrades for better scalability
A custom viewer?
- IMA can provide a customised version of SceneGate.
- This should be of interest to commercial grids and Kitely organizations.
- In particular, school grids will want to control the Market destination.
- Especially those below college level.
- One private educational grid has already ordered a customized version.
- Probably the first customisation: remove other grids from the preference listing.
- Educators will not want to show students how to go to unapprove places.
- Commercial grids may prefer a viewer that does not list their competitors.
- Commercial grids may want to determine the functions of the grid money amount notice and the two buttons.
- The cost of customisation would vary with the details.
Buy Gloebits on Depot Grid
SceneGate buttons and notice now
- The Marketplace button presently gets an error message.
- The Buy grid money button in SceneGate presently only works in a Gloebits region.
- The grid money amount notice gives me a zero in Kitley. That is incorrect.
- These things be fixed, but the details are still under consideration.
Marketplace button on SceneGate
The "friends online" Issue
- My first thought was that this is strictly a grid issue. And it is.
- But then I thought "Why would a person want that information?"
- If it is to be actionable intelligence, it would probably be used to decide whether to enter the grid or not.
- Or it might be used to choose which grid to enter.
- In either case, this is a subgoal. The larger goal is to contact someone.
- SceneGate may be able to help on that larger goal.
- The top priority for the ScenGate dev team is EchoVoice.
- IMA and Thales work towards improved voice in OpenSim (SceneGate), including security, accessibility, and features
- An objective of that feature is connections to systems beyond OpenSim.
- To such places as web-worlds, Discord, and Frendica.
- A connection to Discord would allow quirk contact with friends.
- At least with those that are also your friends in Discord.
- So we need to be sure that the connection part of SceneGate works even if no grid is connected.
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Jing
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and Hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.
Thank you for sharing.ReplyDelete