Firestorm settings for beginners.
A DTA content page
Suggested changes in Firestorm settings for use with students in educational places. This article is explicitly licensed Public Domain (CC0).
How to search FS Prefs
How to search Firestorm preferences
- Top line of Firestorm, Avatar (full left), click Avatar
- On drop-down menu click Preferences.
- To search preferences panel: Use the white bar at the top of the panel.
- Type part of the setting and the panel will show settings that match.
- See graphic above.
- Details on Preferences: Viewer 3.3+ Preferences window, Summary
- Using viewer: Firestorm for OpenSimulator set to Viewer 5 (drop-down menus)
- Name tags
- Enable voice
- World Map
- Search this page: Ctrl+f opens search bar near top of page.
- #VWEDU: update 8/15/2019 CVL Presents ACRL Sunday Tour. OpenSim users split on impact of Firestorm fork.
Preference settings to change for students
- Be sure to click the OK button when you finish a panel.
- Otherwise, your settings may not be recorded.
- Name tags-- show briefly
Sound & Media--Voice tab
- Enable voice (checked)
Sound & Media--Media tab
- Allow media to autoplay
- Allow inworld scripts to play media
Move & View--ViewTab
- Check these:
- Disable camera constraints
- Disable minimum camera zoom distance
Move & View--Movement Tab
- Single click on land - move to clicked point
- Double click on land - teleport to clicked point
Move & View--Map&Minimap Tab
- Enable double-click teleports on the World Map
- Notify me when my friends log in or out. (uncheck all)
Firestorm onscreen buttons to keep
- A button will display its name when you hover your cursor over it.
- Quick prefs
- Other buttons can be hidden and recovered if needed.
- Reference viewer: Firestorm for OpenSimulator set to Viewer 5 (drop-down menus)
What is a DTA content page?
- DTA content pages are offered as possible content for instruction on using virtual worlds for education.
- The page is explicitly licensed Public Domain (CC0).
- That means anyone can use it as is or modified with or without credit to the source.
- Digicoach might send people to this page with specific search terms.
- Educators might put this page on their own site and send students there.
- Educators might use this text in their own version of Digicoach.
- These content pages will be revised as needed or as improvements are identified.
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Jing
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.