Would you buy this house?-
Click image to enlarge
Little house on the sandbox
-I mean buy it in real life. This is a reasonably complete house, one that could be used in an architect's presentation of plans. And it is a striking presentation. A few projects have used virtual builds in Second Life as a way to present and promote the proposed a planned construction. So I thought about how this virtual house would serve as a working model for thinking through the plan.
Below are some views and my thoughts as I would think them if I were considering this house plan as a presentation by my architect. I would not buy this house as is, but I do think this virtual house is useful in thinking about the question of what I would buy.
Attractive. Daring! Practical?
-But would you build this house if your architect proposed it to you?
Do you really want that much glass? I like that glass for selling the house, but maybe not for living in it, Maybe you want the glass tinted. Maybe you don't want visitors to see into your living room as they walk up to the house.
Would you want some modifications?
People do buy houses like this in Second LIfe. There was a rezzer box next to the house. That is often the way houses are sold in Second Life, so I am guessing that this one I found on Hobo Island was bought. People often buy houses and bring then around to a sandbox to walk though them and get a feel for how it would be to live in them.
A house in a rezzer box is well suited for sandbox testing. You put out the rezzer box and click on it. That lets you rez the whole house in one click if you want to. Later, when you are finished for the moment, you can de-rez the entire thing with another click on the box. You put the box back in your inventory and tale it with you. The ultimate in mobile homes.
I love the look of those stairs, but I don't want elderly guests to climb them without a rail. And the only bathroom I found is in the bedroom.
I assume you can close curtains around the bedroom. And they better be good curtains or you will get up with the sun.
Kitchen on the upper floor
That makes for a lot of upstairs-downstairs just for a beer.
The open house brings people together
-More togetherness than you want?
-I think I would trade the indoor pool for a study and a bathroom more accessible from the liningroom.
Here is a key question that does not seen to be answered in this presentation:
Where is my computer?
- Videos from virtual worlds Summary
- Hobbies: Doing video/machinima in virtual worlds
- Music Videos from virtual worlds Summary
- Art videos from the virtual world
- Comedy videos from the Virtual World
- What do we do in Virtual Worlds?
- Search on page with Google Chrome: Ctrl+f, search bar upper right
- Google search this blog, column on right
- or put site:virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com at the end of the search terms
- Annotated screen shots made with Jing
- Creative Commons License, attribution only.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- This blog is not affiliated with Second Life or anything else.
- Ads are from Google
- Drop by my place in Second life
- Location Link. Click to go or drag to the viewer screen:
- Feel free to send me an IM, notecard, or friend request.
- Thinkerer Melville/Selby Evans