We may be able to use Discord for event notices
much as we have been using inworld groups.
Communities on the Hypergrid need a grid-independent way to announce and promote events. They especially need a way to send Just-In-Time(JIT) alerts near the start time of an event. Discord has features that can support JIT notices. Friendica may have such features in the future.
Event in a virtual world
- Inworld groups can send notices to everyone in the group.
- We use that feature to notify group members of an upcoming event.
- Often all group members get the notice.
- They don't mind the notices because that's why they are in the group.
- But these notices at best only work for those who are inworld on the hypergrid.
- Many of us also use a web-world or a closed grid.
- And inworld notices reach no one not already in OpenSim.
Can we extend our reach to the outworld?
- We do use social media for announcements that travel the web/
- But we would like to send notices shortly before the event.
- Discord may be able to do that .
- update 1/9/2020 Brand New Grid: Rêves Fantastiques GridList becomes social! Great Canadian Grid seeks funds to reopen Kitely Market Passes $100,000 in Sales.
How to manage "group" notices in Discord
- Discord servers are emerging as community hosts for the web.
- So they are like virtual world groups.
- Communities promotes events of interest to people in that community.
- A community can create a channel for community event news.
- That channel can carry posts of event announcements.
- Those posts are persistent but could also appear on the community web site.
- The community web site could also carry a community calendar.
- But that does not get us to Just-In-Time (JIT) notices.
- But Discord can send alerts directly to computers.
How to get Discord to send you alerts
- Discord can send alerts from any server (group) and from any channel.
- You probably want to select a channel in a specific group for alerts.
- Go to that channel and right-click on the name.
- In the dropdown options, hover the cursor over notifications.
- That gets you another level of dropdown options.
- To get alerts, check all messages.
- To avoid alerts, check only @mentions
- You have to tell your computer how to handle alerts.
How to manage a Discord channel for events
- This channel needs to be limited to posting event notices.
- Users will not tolerate frequent false alerts.
- I see that channels can be set so regular users cannot post on them.
- The channel owner will have to make that setting.
What would make Discord more useful for event notices?
- A way to access recent alerts.
Will Discord add these features?
- Discord may not see that in its interest.
- Discord was mainly aimed at gamers, who may not need that feature.
- We are wanting to use it to support online communities.
- An alternative may be developing in Friendica
- How do we replace Google Plus? Preliminary ideas
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Jing
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.