Possible uses of formative assessment items:
JIT evaluation, immediate feedback, detailed analysis
The strong point of Digital Teaching Assistant (DTA) is attention to detail. When it is helping with homework, it can ask questions and evaluate numbered or clicked answers. When it evaluates, it can give immediate feedback, record answers, and provide reports useful to teachers and students. This article is explicitly licensed Public Domain (CC0).
The Empty Classroom
Students doing homework?
- We hope they are doing homework
- We can't see them. We can't encourage them. We can't help them.
- Unless they are online at the homework site.
- If the homework site is online, we know when they are there.
- We know how much time they spend.
- We can ask them questions and find out if the assignment is working.
- We can ask them questions and let them see how effective their study practice is.
- We can ask them questions and see who is having problems and what the problems are.
- Formative assessment (Wikipedia)
- Formative assessment (search)
- Formative assessment aps
- Diagnostic rather than evaluative
- Guiding rather than grading
- Telling the teacher about the effectiveness of instructional materials
- Telling the student about the effectiveness of study practices
- Telling the teacher about students needing help
Possible functions of formative assessment items
For the teacher (aggregated)
- See how well the assigned lesson is meeting its learning objectives.
- Assumed: each lesson plan has learning objectives (or it would not be assigned).
- See how much time students are spending on the lesson.
- Anonymous data, no FERPA issues.
For the students
- See how effective their study effort has been.
- If it is quite effective they get the answers right and take satisfaction in that.
- If it is less effective they can try to improve on their own or seek help.
- For students with less effective study effort, DTA might offer help.
- Suggested actions are already available:
- How to improve study skills in college
- How to improve study skills in high school
- DTA can give help just when the student feels a need for it.
- DTA can help students know about effective span of attention for reading.
- No data collected, no FERPA issues
For the teacher (by individual student)
- Students identified: FERPA issues.
- The digital teacher assistant and FERPA: there are security issues
- With formative testing, DTA can identify students having problems.
- DTA has a record of how much time they spent on home work.
- DTA knows how much time a student spent on reading or watching a video.
- Attention span (Wikipedia)
DTA can also report item performance by cognitive level
- Assuming that the items are marked for cognitive level.
- Cognitive level of test questions
- BLOOM’S TAXONOMY AND THE DIFFERENT LEVELS OF QUESTIONS
- Cognitive level of test questions
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 pm Central time (US)
- I am available for free consulting on any topic in this blog.
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.
- Original text in this blog is CC By: unless specified public domain.
- Use as you please with attribution: link to the original.
- All images without attribution in this blog are CC0: public domain.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- Annotated screenshots made with Jing
- This blog is not affiliated with anything. Ads are from Google.
- Selby Evans in Kitely and hypergrid, Thinkerer Melville in Second Life.