A commercial art gallery in a web-world?
Is that possible?
What are the problems you have to solve?
A commercial gallery sells the work of artists. In a web-world it would display art for sale and take orders for physical delivery. Issues: What is the physical delivery? What is the advantage over flat web-pages?
The gallery of Don Margulis
Web-gallery advantages over physical places
- Tiny building and maintenance costs compared to physical places.
- Anyone with a browser can go there from anywhere in 30 seconds.
- It is accessible to elderly and mobility-impaired people.
- Artists can organize festivals and galleries based on art genres rather than on location.
- The gallery can be open 24/7.
- The art work itself is at no risk of damage or theft.
What is the physical delivery?
- The art can be photographs, paintings, 3d wall-art, relief, or statuary.
- What is delivered depends on the original form of the art.
- The original form of a recent photograph is probably high-density digital.
- Older photographs (on film) will probably be digitized for presentation and printing.
- Most likely a large format digital reproduction (rolled) will be the delivery product.
- It may be signed, numbered, and dated to increase its value.
- For low cost, a digitized reproduction might be offered.
- For much higher cost, the artist might offer the original (signed and certified).
- At a lower cost, the artist might offer silk-screen reproductions (signed and numbered).
- 3d wall-art (search)
- 3d wall-art, Uncommon Goods
- 27 Amazing DIY 3D Wall Art Ideas
- 3d wall-art is regarded as upscale wall decoration.
- It would probably be created as mesh.
- It would be rendered in solid form by 3D printing
- Various materials and coloring are available.
- SketchFab is a well-known 3D printing company
- Relief (Wikipeda)
- Relief can be used as wall-art.
- My first edition: first bronze art work from the virtual worlds
- Shattered, virtual sculpture in real bronze: The art of Toysoldier Thor
- Mesh figures can be rendered in solid form by 3D printing.
- 1st Bronze Cast of a SecondLife® Mesh Art a Success - The Journey
- Personalized wall-art: A person's name is added to the wall-art before 3D printing.
- Text art: User-provided text is added to wall-art before 3D printing.
- Merged art: User-provided images are added to wall-art before 3D printing.
What is the advantage over flat web-pages?
- Art in three dimensions (wall-art, relief, statuary) can be seen in three dimensions. .
- A commercial gallery in the physical would have somebody there to talk to visitors.
- You go in to look around and soon somebody would ask if they could help you.
- They would be able to tell you about the art and the artists.
- They might introduce you to some of the other patrons.
- If you were expecting to buy something, you would probably not come alone.
- You would bring your spouse or significant other to give you a second opinion.
- (That is how you show significant others that they are significant.)
- On a web page you are all alone unless others can be in the room with you.
- On a browser-based 3D web place, others can be there if they can run a browser.
- People interested in art want to talk to artists.
- Artists hold shows of their work, where they talk to interested people.
- Commercial art galleries hold shows of the art they have on offer.
- The artists come to tell people about their work.
- Groups of artists organize art exhibitions or festivals to show their work.
- A web-world makes it easy for artists to talk to interested people.
- The web-gallery is as portable as a laptop. It works anywhere there is WiFi.
- It can be set up to give an audible signal when someone comes in.
- So the artist can work in the studio and be in the web-gallery at the same time.
- An artist who keeps regular hours could have regular artist hours in the gallery.
- (I have used that method as a writer for 2 years. See my office times below.)
Connect with the artist
- Contemporary art gallery (Wikipedia)
- A commercial gallery extends its reach far beyond driving distance.
- A gallery can build a nation-wide reputation no matter where it is located.
- A gallery can have a web-gallery as a branch of its physical gallery,
Visit me on the web
- Drop by my web offices Weekdays: 12:-12:30 Central time (US)
- Cybalounge and 3DWebWorldz (Orientation room)
- I will be in both places, so you may need to speak to get my attention.
- Web-worlds, 3D virtual worlds running in a browser. Summary
- And we can visit the Writer's Workshop on the Web
- Don't register -- enter as guest.