Firestorm profiles, web profiles, and Opensim
A note of caution.
A note of caution.
- Profiles are a bit tricky on Firestorm in Opensim.
- If you tell Firestorm to use web profiles,
- It will use profiles that were created in Second Life.
- That may be what you want.
- Or it may be something you definitely don't want.
- Here are some examples of how things can go wrong:
You look for the profile of a name you know in Opensim
- Firestorm looks for name in the web profiles, as you told it to do.
- But that name is not in the web profiles unless the person was in SL under the same name.
- So you may find that the profile does not exist.
- Or, worse, you find the profile of someone else who is using that name in SL.
- I looked up a friend of mine under his name in Kitely.
- I found a profile of a person who was offering (Censored) ...
- My friend, in Second Life under a different name, would have been appalled.
How do you get it right?
- Use legacy profiles. Choose here:
- Preferences-General- Use web profiles by default should be unchecked.
- You may want to put your Google Profile in the About panel.
Fix is in progress
Comment from Christopher Strachan: "The developers of both Opensim and 3rd party viewers like firestorm are working hard on enabling web profiles like the kind found in sl and us php developers are also working hard on writing those files."
Details in the Firestorm Wiki
News and Notes
- Notes: Major Firestorm Release 184.108.40.206478
- The Creature from the Black Lagoon Opens with a Party!
- Faultless Delivery From Kitely Market to OSgrid
- For more on topics like this, circle Selby Evans in Google+
- What do we do in Virtual Worlds?
- Kitely: low cost virtual worlds.
- Search on page with Google Chrome: Ctrl+f, search bar upper right.
- To find events, scroll down to "Lables used on this Blog," click EV
- Google search this blog: Search bar, upper left--or:
- Put site:virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com at the end of the search terms
- What is Second Life?
- Annotated screen shots made with Jing
- All original content on this blog is Creative Commons License, attribution only.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- This blog is not affiliated with Second Life or anything else.
- Ads are from Google
- Drop by my place in Second Life
- Location Link. Click to go or drag to the viewer screen:
- Feel free to send me an IM, notecard, or friend request.
- Thinkerer Melville/Selby Evans