BLOGS: How to keep up with the news
you want to follow.
Feed reader-- Which and how?
you want to follow.
- You find a blog or news source carrying news you want to read.
- What do you do?
- Bookmark--you have to keep checking
- News page, such as Google news
- Follow, subscribe--get notices of publications
- Feed reader-- Which and how?
- Circle in Google+
- Don't think either-or. Think both-and.
- OK for web pages that don't change often
- For blogs and news, you have to keep checking
- Blogs and news change frequently.
- I forget to check. I need another plan.
News page, such as Google news
- Adequate for major news
- But not for specialized news and blogs
- No easy way to select the sources
- Usually they show the same story long after I read it
Follow, subscribe--get notices of publications
- You can usually find a follow option on the blog.
- If you click that, you may find that you can request email notices.
- Or the Follow button may let you subscribe via a feed reader
- I use Feedly. To subscribe to a blog or news source:
- Click the +Add Content button (upper left).
- Enter the target url of the home page in the entry window.
- Click the + by the name of the source you want.
- Check the category you want to put this item in.
- Click the Update button to store your settings.
- Feedly will display one category at a time.
- So use the categories to help collect articles.
- And organize your information explosion.
- BTW, you can use the RSS symbol found on many blogs,
- but it only works for Geeks.
- Feedly lets me mark items as read,
- So I only see the new news.
Circle in Google+
- Many bloggers post links in Google+ when they publish.
- If you circle the blogger, you see the link.
- The blogger can see that you circled.
- And can easily circle you back.
- If you are a blogger, you like the reciprocal connection.
- I have a circle for people who post on things I want to keep up with.
- I monitor that circle closely
- When I see that a blogger has circled me, I circle them back.
- So I see the posts and can use them as leads for my articles
- What do we do in Virtual Worlds?
- Search on page with Google Chrome: Ctrl+f, search bar upper right
- Google search this blog, column on right
- or put site:virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com at the end of the search terms
- Annotated screen shots made with Jing
- Creative Commons License, attribution only.
- Second Life, Linden, SLurl, and SL are trademarks of Linden Research Inc.
- This blog is not affiliated with Second Life or anything else.
- Ads are from Google
- Drop by my place in Second life
- Location Link. Click to go or drag to the viewer screen:
- Feel free to send me an IM, notecard, or friend request.
- Thinkerer Melville/Selby Evans